Custom Formula Collection
Modified VIX Indicator
The interpretation for the Modified Volatility Index was taken from the article "Modifying The Volatility Index", by S. Jack Karczewski, in the April 1995 issue of TASC. The Volatility Index (VIX) is the implied volatility of a group of Standard &
Poors 100 index options. It is updated by the CBOE.
This formula assumes you can get the VIX information downloaded from some data vendor, such as Dial Data, Telescan, or DBC Signal.
The custom formula you should create is the Modified VIX:
( ( ( P - Mov( P ,15 ,E ) ) / Mov( P ,15 ,E ) ) * ( 100 * 33 * 2 ) ) * ( Sqrt( 252 ) / Sqrt( 15 ) / C )
The steps to get the actual charts are:
For the Windows versions of MetaStock:
- Open the chart of the OEX.
- Open the chart of the VIX.
- Drag the plot of the OEX into the chart of the VIX.
- Plot the formula for the Modified VIX directly on top of the OEX plot.
You now have a plot of the Modified VIX.
**For interpretation of the Modified VIX refer to Mr. Karczewski's article.
For additional help with formulas, please see the Formula Primer.
Can't find the custom formula you need? MetaStock can create formulas for you.
- Creating Custom Formulas
- Absolute Breadth Index
- Advance / Decline Line with Negative Volume
- ADX/ADXR Custom (without rounding)
- Alpha and Beta
- Arms Index (TRIN)
- Average-Modified Method
- Breadth Thrust
- CCI Moving Average Crossover System Test
- Chande's Momentum Oscillator
- Combining Trend and Oscillator Signals System Test
- Commodity Channel Index Buy and Sell Signals
- Comparative Relative Strength
- Comparative Relative Strength Exploration
- Coppock Curve
- Derivative Moving Average
- Detrended Price Oscillator
- Disparity Index
- Displaying the Price of a Security in 32nds and 64ths
- Divergence between the Close and an Indicator
- Dynamic Momentum Oscillator
- Elder Ray and The Force Index
- End Point Moving Average
- Genesis of a Simple Futures Trading System
- Historical Volatility Daily
- Historical Volatility System, Connors and Raschke's
- Historical Volatility Weekly
- InSync Index
- Investor Preference Index
- Keltner Channels
- Ken Roberts' Formulas
- Kurtosis Indicator
- MACD Histogram
- Market Facilitation Index
- Market Facilitation Index Expert Advisor
- Market Thrust Oscillator
- Martin Pring's KST Formulas
- Mass Index
- McClellan Oscillator
- McClellan Summation Index
- Modified VIX Indicator
- Money Flow Index
- Moving Average of Only One Day of a the Week
- Natenberg's Volatility
- New Advance Decline Line
- Pathfinder Trading System
- Polarized Fractal Efficiency
- Price Action Indicator (PAIN)
- Price Volume Rank
- Random Walk Index
- Rate of Change Since a Specific Date
- Regression Oscillator and the Slope/Close Indicator
- Relative Strength Index, Custom (RSI)
- Relative Volatility Index (RVI)
- Slope of a Line
- Slope of a Linear Regression Line
- Standard Error Bands
- STIX Oscillator
- Stochastic %D
- Stochastic Relative Strength Index
- Tick Line Momentum Oscillator
- Trading Channel Index
- Wilder's Volatility
- WillSpread by Larry Williams